As a manager what can you do you improve team performance?
To begin with its essential to have clarity in terms of your own role and objectives.
1. Increase levels of engagement and motivation within the team so that the work is more meaningful to them. When achieved, this leads to increased staff retention, better organisational culture and greater levels of innovation.
2. Improve levels of autonomy and self sufficiency within the team so that they are less reliant on you. This will provide you with more time to work ‘on the system’ as opposed to ‘in the system’.
3. Develop the capability and capacity of team members so that they are more productive. When achieved, this will lead to improved levels of quality, profitability and growth.
So how might you achieve this?
The first thing to understand is that while of course you have to ‘get the work done’, you also need to change your approach to that of a more coaching, facilitative style.
To begin with try being less directive offering instruction and advice. Instead ask more questions of your team both individually and collectively.
Fine you might say, but what does this actually look like in practice?
Well to begin with create learning moments with these three simple examples.
1. Each day you have multiple one to one interactions with staff. At the end of such conversations ask the other person ‘what is the learning here for you’? Alternatively, you could ask them ‘what was most valuable learning for you from this exchange’?
2. Similarly, at the end of group work or team meetings again ask the team/group ‘what is the learning here for you’? Alternatively, you could ask them ‘what was most valuable learning for you from this exchange’?
3. Finally, share with individuals, groups and teams what you have learned and what was most valuable for you. This sharing of learning is immensely powerful at both an individual and collective level.
Joe McDonald, create10 Founder provides one to one professional coaching, team workshops that enhance performance and innovation as well as flexible and affordable online courses. Check out www.create10.ie for further information. If you are ambitious in improving your performance book your place today!